Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I am an Illinois employer who is struggling with payroll deductions

I am an Illinois employer who is struggling with payroll deductions with my employees. I have several employees who have company credit cards and who are also in positions to make purchases on behalf of the company. The company policy dictates that any purchases must have the original credit card receipts turned in with the job number and the reason for purchase. This rarely happens and I have an employee/employer contract that every employee signs that stipulates if they policy is not followed that I can hold the amount until the charges have been verified. Is this legal?

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

As long as you have the employees written consent, then it is typically legal to enforce this policy. However, such deductions should not reduce the employees wages to less than the state minimum wage and the consent must be freely given by the employee at the time the deduction is made, so the previously signed stipulations are not likely to be enough.

Unfortunately, such a practice can invite an investigation by the state DOL if an employee complains to them. To avoid this, some employers require employees to use their own credit cards and submit expense reports or resort to some other form of discipline (written warnings typically) instead of wage withholding.

Best regards,

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand what you are saying, however, our situation is a little different. The written consent is freely given as part of their employment contract and serves as a "blanket" rule for any subsequent unauthorized charges. Also, the employee gets the amount held posted back once the charge has been verified. It's not that we are keeping the money in question, we are using the withholding as a tool to get them to comply with the company policy. From your answer, it looked as if I need to get them to comply with each missing receipt. Did I understand that correctly?

Hello again Shaun.

If you were investigated by the DOL, it would be best to have a signed agreement by the employees for each pay period in which there were deductions made since these deductions, unlike insurance benefits, are not for the benefit of the employee.

If you do not have them sign a new form each time, the DOL could find that the earlier stipulation is inadequate and assess fines against you. They COULD do that, but probably wouldn't.

Ultimately, if you pay the withheld amount, it should not be a problem.

Good luck and take care.