How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina , Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i just received a summons yesterday 10/31 from a cook county

Resolved Question:

i just received a summons yesterday 10/31 from a cook county sheriff in illinois. the case is from a third party collections company (the original account was from chase card). in the summons it is stating that i have to file a "written appearance by yourself of your attorney and pay the required fee". i don't have a lot of money and i can't afford a lawyer. what to i do? i've read in websites not to call the plaintiff's attorney and that if i fight this i will most likely win because third party collections do not have the proper paper work. i don't even know how much i orginally owe. the only exhibits they have is that they bought 630 accounts from chase totalling over 2 mil dollars. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Do you know how many years have lapsed since there was any activity on the account (payments or charges)?

Do you think it was a credit card debt?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i believe it's only been 2 or 3 years. and it's from a chase credit card company. they're suing for about 5k. again, i don't remember the last balance from that account.

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

If there is any chance that it has been 5 years or more, then you should raise the statute of limitations as a defense.

You will need to file a response/answer to the petition to avoid allowing the company to obtain a default judgment against you, but the filing fee should have been paid by the plaintiff, not you. They can seek court costs in the petition, in addition to the account balance.

It is best to retain at least an experienced paralegal to assist you in drafting and filing the appropriate documents. That is a much less expensive alternative than an attorney, but they are not permitted to represent you.

Your answer will either admit or deny each allegation set forth in the petition and include any affirmative defenses such as the statute of limitations at the bottom of your answer.

As long as you file timely, it will ultimately require the company to prove the amount you owe through documentation. If they fail to carry their burden of proof, then you would typically move to dismiss the case.

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just spoke to a lawyer on the phone who pretty much told me the same thing. but one question i have for you is where do i get a paralegal? can i find one the day i go to court?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
It's best to hire a paralegal now, to help you prepare the answer that needs to be filed. The yellow pages is typically a good source for locating one. They can't represent you in court, but should be able to help you prepare for the hearing.

Don't wait until the day you go to court. It's highly unlikely you can find someone on that short of notice.

Take care!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the lawyer advised us to go there before the court date and to file a motion to dismiss. he said i can get the forms from the court building that day we go, which we're planning on going next monday. is the form for motion to dismiss pretty straight forward where we can do it on our own?

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
You might be able to complete it on your own, but I get a lot of questions from people who have had their pleadings rejected by courts because of errors or some court rule they were not aware of. So, I typically recommend at least a paralegal. It is ultimately up to you whether to try it yourself or not.

All the best!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just called a paralegal service company and they stated they do not work with the public and that i need to hire a lawyer.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Contact others then. There are usually paralegals who work as sole proprietors that could assist you.

If you cannot find a paralegal or paralegal firm in your area, then you will need to retain an attorney or try to file the documents yourself unfortunately unless there is a law school with a legal aid clinic that can assist you.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
A law school student may be able to assist you through the school's legal clinic if you cannot locate a paralegal and cannot afford an attorney.

Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks so much tina!!!

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome!

Please don't forget to press the accept button so I am paid for my time by JA.

Thanks a lot and good luck to you!
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Tina and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.