Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

We adopted two girls and their grandmother had a life insurance

We adopted two girls and their grandmother had a life insurance policy so each girl got a little bit of money. When they dissolved the guardianship and we adopted the girls an attorney put the money in a bank account and we can not withdraw any funds without a court order. My question is do I have to have an attorney request a court order to withdraw money? I am in Oklahoma.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. You are not required to have an attorney to request the court order. It could be helpful to you so that you make sure you frame your request in a manner that is more likely to be granted. For example, you will want to make sure request is needed for something other than the ordinary support of your girls because the court will not grant it for costs that are deemed to be the responsibility of the parents; rather you will want to make sure the money is being requested for something not legally required to be provided by the parents...such as private school, camp, etc.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a form or format I need. My oldest daughter requires tutoring and we are taking both girls to a counselor. Can I just make the request to withdraw money monthly to those things or make an automatic withdraw request for the counselor and tutor?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Each court system has its own system. You should contact your local family court and ask the court clerk for the applicable form used by their court. You can make the request in the alternative and let the judge decide which to allow.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.