LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Can you hire an attorney to appear with you in court BUT still

Customer Question

Can you hire an attorney to appear with you in court BUT still represent yourself. Just have the attorney there to insure that your rights are not being violated.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You may of course represent yourself in court and have an attorney as your consultant.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. Subscription customers incur no additional charges by Accepting. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.

Doug

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there a law that says that? Thanks

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

No, there is no law which specifically states that. Laws are written to prohibit things, not to specifically permit them. However, appellate courts have ruled that the right to self-representation is rooted in the US Constitution in the instances in which the issue has arisen in courts.

The exception to this right is for business entities. Business entities and quasi business entities must be represented by legal counsel. Only individuals suing, or being sued, in their own capacity are granted the right to represent themselves.

I wish you well.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answer. Until then your payment is simply held by JustAnswer.com and not shared with me. So, please click the ACCEPT icon if my Answer has been helpful. Thanks again.

Doug