Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Are there caps on how much an insurance company can raise your

Customer Question

Are there caps on how much an insurance company can raise your life insurance premium? My husband's $250,000 term policy went from $550/quarterly payment to $880/quarterly payment overnight.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This depends - does your original policy contract allow for a raise, and if so, does it not mention any caps?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am at work and do not have the entire policy available to review.

We live in Pinal County, Arizona.

The policy was entered into when we lived in Riverside County, California

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I understand, thank you. Normally, the contract controls the matter, and if the contract is silent on the matter, then the state/federal law applies to fill in the blanks. In this situation, the law does NOT provide any specifics caps. However, if the premium is completely too much, you can have it lowered by the court if the Judge agrees it 'shocks the conscience of the court.'So again, it first depends on the contract, and then if the contract is silent, then there are no limits, but if it is astoundingly too much, it can be lowered via court order.

I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”