Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association

My sons ex roommate is taking us to small claims court, saying

My sons ex roommate is taking us to small claims court, saying we owe him back rent and utilities. Before he could get back to the apt. and move his stuff out, this other kid sold, gave away and threw away all of my sons things. Bed, desk, chair, clothes, tv., even still has our riding lawn mower we let them use. Its been 6 months and he has brought one blanket back. I feel we dont owe him anything, or at least as much as he says we do. Do I need to have a laywer with us for this?
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

No, you don't need a lawyer with you. This is something you can handle on your own. Just make sure you bring with you any evidence that you may have, including any lease if there was one, any proof of ownership of any items, or any correspondence between the parties (including emails). Then just tell the judge the truth and that's the best you can do.

I hope this helps,