Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

We hired a business to do some work at our home. The business

We hired a business to do some work at our home. The business was owned by an individual who came to our home and picked up the deposit check. The work was never performed and we are now planning on suing in small claims court to get our deposit money back. Do we sue the individual, whom the check was made out to, or the company?

I am sorry for your situation. If the business is INCORPORATED, then you sue the person. If the business is a DBA, then you sue the individual, in the form of "JOHN DOE d/b/a COMPANY."

I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”