lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

My mother needs 24hour care in her home, she is an invalid.

My mother needs 24hour care in her home, she is an invalid. She has Viva Medicare Part B, will her medicare pay for an in-home care giver?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable. Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged.

Medicare will not pay for in home care. However, there may be benefits available under Medicaid. You need to contact your local Medicaid office to see if she qualifies or if there are measures that you can take so she will qualify. Medicaid rules vary from state to state but generally she will have to have no more than 2,000 in liquid assets. If her income is too high then you can use what is known as a Miller trust to get her eligible. Best wishes to her and your family.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has no income, other than a social security payment of only 1,000 monthly which barely pays her monthly living expenses. She has paid insurance all her adult life, now that she needs it, she doesn't qualify???
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
I did not say she would not qualify, I said that Medicare would not pay. You need to file for Medicaid which is a different program.