How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother needs 24hour care in her home, she is an invalid.

Resolved Question:

My mother needs 24hour care in her home, she is an invalid. She has Viva Medicare Part B, will her medicare pay for an in-home care giver?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable. Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged.

Medicare will not pay for in home care. However, there may be benefits available under Medicaid. You need to contact your local Medicaid office to see if she qualifies or if there are measures that you can take so she will qualify. Medicaid rules vary from state to state but generally she will have to have no more than 2,000 in liquid assets. If her income is too high then you can use what is known as a Miller trust to get her eligible. Best wishes to her and your family.
lwpat and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has no income, other than a social security payment of only 1,000 monthly which barely pays her monthly living expenses. She has paid insurance all her adult life, now that she needs it, she doesn't qualify???
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
I did not say she would not qualify, I said that Medicare would not pay. You need to file for Medicaid which is a different program.