Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

I am trying to determine whether or not to retain a lawyer

Customer Question

I am trying to determine whether or not to retain a lawyer that specializes in housing. I have applied for the HAMP modification loan with Chase bank. I applied in May of 2010 and have gotten nowhere. I feel like I got the run around and my loan was never followed through with. In September I was notified that my loan had been sold to a new servicer (IBM). In the meantime my mortgage is more delinquent and the accounting is incorrect that transferred from Chase to IBM. I contacted Fannie Mae to look into it and on October 20th I recieved a letter from Chase bank stating that my Modification was denied on October 8th which was only after Fannie Mae contacted them and my loan was sold to IBM. I am wondering what to do. I have two potential housing attorneys but I don't know how to check out thier credibility and if it is a sound decision to retain a lawer as I have been told that the lender looks badly upon retaining a lawer because the mney going to the attorney should go towards the mortgage. What should I do?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

Hypothetically, even if it was true that a lender looks down on a customer retaining an attorney, which would you prefer: (1) to be liked, or (2) to have your rights protected?

But that is not even something that you need to worry about because they have no aversion to working with an attorney. In fact, working with an attorney is oftentimes preferable to working with the customer directly because the attorney is not emotionally invested in the outcome and they do not need things explained to them.

This is an easy recommendation from my perspective: talk to an attorney.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am wondering if it will hurt me because the money I give the attorney should go to my house payment in the lenders eyes and I am fearful that my application would be denied. I also am wondering how to look into a housing attorneys credetials to affirm they can helop me? Does the BBB rating really only mean that the attorney pays the BBB for a good rating and if the attorney doesn't have a good rating because they don't pay?
1. "I am wondering if it will hurt me because the money I give the attorney should go to my house payment in the lenders eyes"

A. That is not correct.

2. "and I am fearful that my application would be denied."

A. You will not be denied simply because you employ the services of an attorney.

3. "I also am wondering how to look into a housing attorneys credentials to affirm they can helop me?"

A. Check with the state bar website to find out if your prospective attorney has any disciplinary actions against him/her. If not, and if they advertise and focusing their practice in real estate law or something closely related, you should not expect to have any concerns.

4. "Does the BBB rating really only mean that the attorney pays the BBB for a good rating and if the attorney doesn't have a good rating because they don't pay?"

A. That is not correct.