GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
46665915

I am an owner of a boat slip in a private club in ny and I

I am an owner of a boat slip in a private club in ny and I am a limted partner at condo style boat slip marina, the general parntners on there own changed the late fee on the maintence charges to 50. dollars, the monthly fees is $ 456.00, Now they also change the fee to say thet the late fee doubles every month late,( 1st month $50.00, 2nd month, $100.00, 3rd month $200.00 4th month $400.00 so on , and so on, is this legal

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

what does the bylaws allow the general partners to do? set fees?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont know but Isnt there a standard that NY partnerships and and companys must follow and cant exceed Buy state law. I will check the by laws I have a copy
The key here is the club is private and therefore set their own laws. This would be governed by the by laws of the club in terms of what the general partners are allowed to do, not by state law I'm afraid.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you. Please click 'accept" so that I may receive credit. I am happy to answer your follow up questions at no extra cost. thanks and best regards.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Private was the wrong word to call the club its not , it is a corporation which all the owners of the slips own the corp which owns the marina, the generals have a fudicual right to run the club for everyone in the marinas best interest, The last time something was question by another owner, the lawer for him said that the have to run the corp according to NYS rules. Please let me know if this changes the answer. thanks
NYS rules as far as doing business, formation, by laws but the owners set up the structure and gave the general partners certain powers...deference still has to be given to those powers.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
You're very welcome.