Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I HAVE A STEP DAUGHTER AND I WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT HER...HER

I HAVE A STEP DAUGHTER AND I WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT HER...HER FATHER HAS NOT PAYED ANY CHILD SUPPORT IN OVER A YEAR, AND IS COURT ORDERD TO PAY.. SHE HAS HAD NO CONTACT WITH HIM IN PERSON OVER TWO YEARS.. SHE IS 15 YRS OLD AND WOULD LOVE FOR ME TO ADOPT HER CAN THIS BE DONE WITHOUT A LAWYER OR JUST HAVE ONE DO THE PAPERWORK FOR US
Thank you for your question.

What state are you located in, if you do not mind?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I AM IN LOUISIANA
Thank you for your follow-up.

This is the process--you will not need an attorney to do it.

If the other father has not kept in touch at all in the past 12 months, you can do what is deemed an "involuntary adoption"--it both strips the biological father of rights and places the other new parent (you) as the new legal custodian of the child.

First, the petitioner (the other parent, ie., your wife) would have to contact the local county court. She will have to speak with the county court clerk and request "pro se" filings for an involuntary adoption hearing.
She, as one of the biological parents, must sign the documentation as well as have the new parent sign the forms. There will be an additional form requesting a hearing with the judge so that the judge's decree will overrule the rights of the other parent to give consent.

Be aware that the other parent will be served by your motion and can choose to attend to stop the proceedings. If he does not contest it or does not appear, the judge overrules his right to sign, and then an another hearing is held at which the new parent is questioned by the judge and the judge ascertains that the new party is willing and able and is competent enough to take on the responsibility. At that hearing, so long as everything is satisfactory, the judge issues a ruling and the biological parent is stripped of the rights which are transferred to the new party, which is you.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 11/1/2010 at 5:21 AM EST