Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I will be filing for a divorce this week. Anything I should

I will be filing for a divorce this week. Anything I should do first, before filing. My credit cards are paid off, I have no debt. I will start to excerise and see a therapist to combat depression. What financial or legal thing should I do first.
Thank you for your patience.

That is a tough question to answer. First of all, are you expecting a contentious divorce, or an amicable split?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, she really doesn't like me, especially after tonight's talk about taking the kids to "the house of quacks". She is mean spirited, so I have to say it has a good possibility of going ugly.

Hmm, then you have plenty to do.

First of all, if you have any joint assets or accounts, carefully make notes of the final balances prior to filing. This is to make sure your wife does not simply remove all assets later, leaving you with no recourse to get the funds back at a later point.

Second, collect evidence of fault or whatever reasons you are using to file for divorce.

Third, find proof of "unfitness" on her part that you will use to fight for custody later on. Be prepared that fighting over kids, custody, child support, alimony, and other incidentals will take place and that the more prepared you are to defend your issues and show off hers will make it more likely that you can get custody or ample visitation (something that a mean-spirited spouse can fight over).

Fourth, make a list of all separate property (items you had prior to marriage), and joint assets, just in case those items will alter conveniently disappear.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 11/1/2010 at 4:58 AM EST