GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.

I have a cell phone which is under my ex-boyfriends cell phone

I have a cell phone which is under my ex-boyfriend's cell phone plan (it's a family plan). I have been making the payments primarily and I have had my phone number since I was 18 and do not want to give it up (brought it over from another cell phone company and joined his plan in 2005). I want to separate my phone number (break away from his plan) and get my own plan, but he is not cooperating. Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
what does the company say?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They say it is his account technically (it is under his name), so he has to authorize me taking over financial responsibility of that line. And he is being a jerk about it. He has told me via text message that he will give me my line, but then when I text him back to do it he doesn't respond. I am only making a fuss about my phone number because my mom chose it for me (it has my birth date in the last four digits) and gave it to me when I was 18.
well the only possible claim you have is he agreed and therefore that is a contract and now he is in breach of contract and sue him for breaking his oral contract to release the number to you. outside of legal action you cannot force him to turn the number over to you. I hope that clarifies the issue for you. Thanks and best regards. Let me know if you have follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked another question, not sure if you got it. I'm not sure if a text message can be used as proof of an "oral contract."
No i didn't get it. Yes the text message can be admissible as evidence in your case.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you. Please click 'accept" so that I may receive credit. I am happy to answer your follow up questions at no extra cost. thanks and best regards.