Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

I received a summons in the mail with a charge of harassment,

Customer Question

I received a summons in the mail with a charge of harassment, and a fine of $237. I ended up signing my name by the guilty plea and paid the fine, thinking that would be it. I really cannot handle going to court and dealing with all that mess so I just paid it. I live in PA, and was wondering if that's all that will happen? Will anything else happen and should I get an attorney because I feel explanations of what happened should be addressed. Should I really have pled not guilty?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Nothing else will "happen" at this point but you will now have this on your record. There's no one to explain anything to since th judge is not going to care to listen to your statement after the fact. I understand why you just wanted to get it over with but you really should have pled not guilty and tried to get a reduction of the charge.

You will now have to try to have this expunged from your record through the court assuming this has been your only offense and you commit nothing in the future. You will probably have to get the assistance of any attorney in order to get your record cleared and there is generally a waiting period of a couple of years before you can do this.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have never had a harassment charge or anything like that before, however I was 2 days away from getting off probation for DUI. I'd really hope I wouldn't have to do any jail time because at this point I would just lose it. Is it possible that I may never hear from the court?

I would think it is very unlikely you will hear from the court since this is not an alcohol related offense however I cannot promise that it won't happen. If you were almost off probation it would be very unusual that anyone would take action for an offense of this nature. There's nothing you can do but wait to see if anyone calls. Then you might have some explaining but I really doubt anything is going to happen.