Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was employed by a company and in a managerial position with

Customer Question

I was employed by a company and in a managerial position with a corp credit card. I made charges for personal use prior to my termination (the termination had nothing to do with the credit card charges). They have sent me a letter from a law firm requesting I make arrangements with them for payment. I have corresponded with them by email only. I have advised them that due to my termination and the denial of my unemployment benefits that I have no income. They are now stating they are going to file a police report and seek legal council if I don't make an arrangement with them. Even though I have told them I will make a suitable agreement once I have an income. Should I seek a legal aid lawyer to assist me with this?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
It wouldn't hurt to have legal counsel to run interference for you. If you know of other instances where people have been allowed to use the credit card for personal reasons make a list of those to give the lawyer. In addition, if you were regularly allowed to do it note that well.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can they still file a police report at this time? And what could the charges possibly be?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, they could file for theft. There is a difference between filing charges and being able to get a conviction, but they definitely could try to file charges.