Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Another teammate and myself were fired from SunTrust Bank because

Another teammate and myself were fired from SunTrust Bank because we would not admit to our Area Manager that we were talking to each other on the phone. We worked in two different branches and she called me upset because she was just told they were closing her branch and they would try to place her somewhere else. The Area Manager wanted to know who she was talking to. So she sent her branch manager to ask. The branch manager knew she was talking to me, but agreed the area manager would be upset and the branch manager told the Area manager she was talking to her husband. My teammate asked me not to tell the Area Manager. So I did not when she called and asked me. After she threatened to fire us and threw termination papers that landed on the floor, we admitted it. She said we were dishonest and that violated code of conduct and let both of us go. We told her the branch manager lied too, but nothing happened to her. Can she make us tell her who we are talking to on the phone? What about her actions? She yelled and threw papers. What can we do? We are appealing the termination right now.

GeorgetownLawyr :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter. Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

JACUSTOMER-dqkbr5sa- :

Hello Lisa, what do you think about my situation?

GeorgetownLawyr :

I need to send you to an employment expert for this one so you can get the proper help you need.

JACUSTOMER-dqkbr5sa- :

It's been 25 minutes......anyone there?

JACUSTOMER-dqkbr5sa- :

I'm going to bed, will check back tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-dqkbr5sa- :

Please let me know who I should contact.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney with 25 years experience, since the other expert opted out of your question, I would like to help, if I may,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. JustAnswer's policy and State Bar restrictions prohibit any attorney-client relationship, giving legal advice and client representation though this forum. The attorneys on JustAnswer are glad to answer questions and give information, but JustAnswer is not a law firm, so we cannot take on client representation and no attorney-client relationship is formed

_______________________________________________________________

I am sorry for the way you and your teammate were treated. It was not right and it was not fair. However, the law permits this. Where an employee does not have a written employment contract with the employer, the employee can quit at any time without any liability to the employer. The employer can terminate the employee at any time for any reason, or for no reason. This is what happens in "at will" states. Although the actions of the supervisor were far from professional, they do not rise to any level where you could sue your employer. I wish I could have given you a more acceptable Answer, I am under an obligation to give correct Answers and information, so please try not to hold the law applicable to your case against me.

________________________________________________________________

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

_______________________________________________________________________________

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Andrea,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your honest feedback. Do you think that I will be able to draw unemployment?

Normally, I never try to predict what outcome an individual can expect.

However, in your situation, I can almost guarantee that you would receive unemployment compensation benefits. Please undertand that this assumes that the employer will not lie. When a terminated employee files for unemployment compensation benefis, papers are sent to the employer for their statement regarding the conditions under which the employee was terminated. One telephone call does not justify termination. If the employer lies and fabricates a story under which an employee was terminated, that becomes a different story altogether. However, even if this were the case and you were denied unemployment compensation benefits, you can appeal and a Referee hears both sides. Then, it would be no contest that you would win.

Hopefully, it will not come to that and the employer will not lie, but I wanted to give you information on what happens if an employer lies and what you should do in those circumstances.

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.