Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

On a third fingerprint search to finish my Masters in Teaching

Customer Question

On a third fingerprint search to finish my Masters in Teaching program, a possession of cannabis conviction from 1975 appeared. As I recall, my girl friend and I were given an 18 month conditional (non-reporting) probation, and told if we stayed out of trouble during that time period, the charge would be removed from our records and we could petition to get our fingerprints back. I never got my prints back, but I assumed the record was cleared as it has never appeared in either of our records over the years. What happened? How does one fix a record? Can damage done by revealing supposedly removed information be undone (I have been exited from the University)? The search is wrong in one detail—it has my race as black—I am white.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
A lot of times these charges aren't actually "removed". To clear it you are probably going to have to hire an attorney to reconstruct what happened and apply or an expungement, which is an order of the court to remove all traces of the charges. The attorney can also handle the university issue for you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would that be a criminal law-type attorney?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, look for one who does criminal defense.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am currently in Alaska, where the University exited me. The incident occurred in Illinois, 35 years ago. Where should I retain an attorney?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
You'll have to get it expunged in Illinois. They are the only court that has jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a way to repair the damage already done, if I am successful with expunging the record? What type of attorney would I get for that repair, and where?

What type of attorney would I get to deal with the University/ School District, if I fight them, or sue?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
You could use the same attorney or you could get one closer to you once the expungement is done. My guess is you would get a civil rights attorney, or at least start there. You could also get one who does education or school law or litigation. Any of those would have the skill set necessary for this type of case.