How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger , Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30795
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sell my ex-husbands car that he left in my garage He

Resolved Question:

Can I sell my ex-husband's car that he left in my garage? He asked me to keep it for 2 months while he went to South America, and it has been more than 3 months now. I don't want to store it anymore, and I don't know when, or even if, he is coming back. I can't reach him. He has disconnected his phone, and he doesn't respond to my emails. I could just park it on the street and let it get towed, but he owes me several thousand dollars in child support, and if I just let it get towed, then nobody profits (except maybe the tow truck guy). What is the law regarding items that are abandoned on my property. How long does is have to be abandoned before I can claim it? What is a reasonable amount of effort to notify him that he needs to move it? If I can claim it as my own, how do I get the title transferred to my name so that I can sell it? I have the keys and the title, but the title is, obviously, in his name.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

If his name is XXXXX XXXXX title to the vehicle (alone or along with your name), he would have to sign off on the title and bill of sale in order to transfer the vehicle.


You can't sell the vehicle unless you own it outright.


Also, you can't consider this abandoned property if it is left at his house which he owns.


All you can do is file for divorce, claim that you don't know where he is (summons to him will be published), and ask the court in the divorce decree to award you title to the car. Once you're awarded ownership of the vehicle, you can do whatever you want with it.


If you decide to divorce, you should see a local lawyer to handle this because of the notice requirements, etc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not at his house- it's at my house, and we have been divorced for nearly 6 years now. Can I consider it abandoned property if he left it at my house?
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Technically, he didn't abandon it if you agreed to keep it. However, since you can't get in touch with him to remove the vehicle, you can inform your local law enforcement officers that he has abandoned the vehicle and they can come and impound it. Here's the statute:


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But if I have it impounded, that still doesn't do me any good except to get it off my property. What happens to it after that? Does it go to auction or something? Or if he doesn't claim it within a certain amount of time, can I claim it? I'm not just out to make money, but seriously, he owes me about $16,000 in child support that I'm probably never going to see because he won't get a real job. Now he's disappeared to South America and I don't know if he's ever coming back. What I really need to know is if there is any way I can legally claim this car. I'll count it as child support. It just seems a waste to get rid of the car without getting something out of it.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

If he owes you child support, you should file a motion with the court to attach and sell his car to generate money to pay his back child support.


The only way you can sell the car is with a court order, and because you agreed to accept the vehicle, it's going to be hard for you to claim that he abandoned it UNLESS you can get him a written notice that you now consider it abandoned.


However, if he owes you child support, that's a different story. You should be able to get a court order to attach and sell the property in order to pay you child support arrearages.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Awesome. How do I do that? Do I need to get a lawyer? Or can I file a motion myself?
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

I think you need a lawyer because he's out of the country - whereabouts unknown. In these cases, there are notice procedures you must go through to ensure that his due process rights are protected. You don't want to miss a step or it could void the entire action.


It's best to hire a lawyer to make sure this is done right. Because this will apparently be uncontested - because he's nowhere to be found - it should not cost too much.

Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30795
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.