Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can a collection agency freeze your checking/savings account

Can a collection agency freeze your checking/savings account or get a judgement against you without you being notified of the options of paying the bill first? One of my bills went to a collection agency, and the lady handling the case says she was in a position to make a judgement on the bill, such as wage garnishment or freezing my bank accounts. I offered to pay the bill by the end of the month, but she did not want to accept that. I was always under the impression that in order to do something like this it had to go to the courts first with your knowledge...I was not aware that a collection agency could do this. I told her this, and that she could do what she had to do since she did not want to work with me on this matter. She then proceeded to work with me on a payment plan.....but I'm am just asking for future reference, does a collection agency have this right? Hopefully, the person living in my house will get a job in the next 2 or 3 months and this won't happen again, but if it does I want to know what to be prepared for.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Only once a judgment has been obtained from the court, the creditor can seize bank accounts without notice to the debtor. The bank receives the seizure notice and freezes the accounts and then notifies the account holder who has to go to the court to file an objection to the seizure to try to get the accounts released. The creditor needs to first file suit and serve you a copy of the summons and complaint and give you an opportunity to answer, so they cannot get a judgment without notice to you first (although many creditors lie about service and obtain default judgments and then you have to go to court and prove you were not served to get the judgment vacated). But they cannot just seize your accounts without a judgment from the court and if a collector tries to tell you they can you can tell them that threats of that nature are a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and if they continue to make them you will sue for violations and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, so far you have been a big help....but are you saying that they can actually obtain a judgement to freeze one's accounts without that person's knowledge? That is really scary, how can they get this done if the person has no knowledge of this going on, and has not been served with any papers of the matter?
Yes, many of these credit collection agencies are unscrupulous and they will fake proof of service or claim they tried service and they did not have a valid address and could not locate you or some lame excuse just to get a default judgment and the first you learn of it is when your account is frozen or you are served a garnishment notice and then you have to go to court prove you were never served and get the judgment vacated.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more thing...okay, so the collection agency is unscrupulous and they fake things, but I always thought the local police or sheriff departments served the papers to a person to appear in court for an unpaid bill....how can the collection agency falsify this information, especially in a small town where the judge and all police know exactly where they can find whoever they are looking for?

Not necessarily. They do not have to use the police or sheriff for service, they can use their own process servers. But the fact they did not go to the sheriff for service when they claimed they could not locate you would be a part of your grounds for vacating the default.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney