RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What does Motion to open and Vacate Judgement mean. Im not

What does Motion to open and Vacate Judgement mean. I'm not clear on the vacate judgement part.
A motion to open asks the court to re-open a previously closed or decided matter, and a motion to vacate is asking the court to withdraw a previous order or judgment. A Motion to Vacate will be granted if you are able to convince the court that you did not have a fair opportunity to present your case, and they are rarely granted.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information, please click reply, and I will be happy to assist you further.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sure if I should go to court on Monday or not. The document said it wasn't necessary to go, but I don't trust the banks attorneys.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX't sure if I should go to court on Monday. The document said it wasn't necessary to attend, but I don't trust the banks attorneys.
Sorry, I never got notice of this reply. What type of judgment is the bank seeking to vacate? A foreclosure? Are you the homeowner?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I'm the homeowner. Late in Aug. I requested the court to open the foreclosure to extend the law date for 6 months. He granted my request right away but didn't want to go into next year saying I could come back again if needed. He really didn't talk to the banks attorney just said yes to me. The judge was also leaving the bench not sure if he's retiring or moving to a different court.

I'm afraid that they are trying to push it up and I won't have the time needed to get the short sale done.

Thank you for the reply. So it sounds like the judge granted you extra time to stay in the home and now the bank is unhappy and wants to vacate that order? I would make a point of going to that hearing, regardless of what the bank attorney tells you. It's unlikely that the judge would grant such a motion (usually the are granted where a party doesn't attend a hearing or fails to respond to a lawsuit because of excusable neglect or mistake) but you want to let the judge know that you oppose vacating such an order.

Can you tell me why the bank wants the order vacated?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No I'm only guessing this is what they are trying to do. I'm definitely planning on attending. Thank you!