Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

if my house is going to sheriffs sale tomorrow can i still

if my house is going to sheriff's sale tomorrow can i still put it up for short sale and how log do I leagally have to reclaim it?
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

You may still short sale the property, but you'd have to make full payment on the outstanding balance all-together in order to be able to reclaim the property. In most cases, you can redeem your property in MI if you pay the total in six months of sale, but sometimes it extends to a year. So the question is not about whether or not you can try to sell the property via short sale, but if you can come up with the rest of the money as well that is owed that is not covered by the short sale.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry could you clarify just a bit. Do I have to give the bank any of the past owed today before it goes to sheriff sale inoreder to put it up for short sale ? once it goes to sheriff sale is it no longer mine and completely out of my hands or do i still have a say?
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
You actually still have the option even AFTER foreclosure in Michigan, which is very debtor-friendly in this regard.If a property is over four units or three acres and has not been abandoned, then you have one year from the date of the foreclosure sale for redemption. If the property has been abandoned, and if the balance is over two-thirds of the original loan, then you are limited to one month. If the balance is two-thirds or less of the original loan, then you have one year.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You rock, Eli! Thanks.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to press ACCEPT - it's the only way I get credit for my time with you. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I bother u for one more small piece of info? Do I let my mortgage company my intent to short sell and do I should I retain legal counsel at this juncture?
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Sure! That's what I am here for.I wouldn't, since it might speed them up to lessen your window. Yes, I WOULD retain counsel. I'd like to refer you to the Michigan Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.
http://www.michbar.org/programs/lawyerreferral.cfm

Ely, Counselor at Law