Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney

I am an exempt employee who was given extra pay for some overtime,

Customer Question

I am an exempt employee who was given extra pay for some overtime, pay above my regular pay. This extra

pay was ok'd and signed by the owner of the company. Problem, the company is being bought by another. The

signing for the transfer of ownership has not taken place - yet the new "owner" has denied my extra pay due to cash flow reasons and due to the fact that I am exempt. The pay has been issued through direct deposit, do I owe the company the money?
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
When was the extra pay approved, before or after the sale was entered into?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The extra pay was approved early this week, closing takes place this weekend.

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

You would be entitled to keep the extra pay since it was done before the sale was completed. The prior owner had authority to do this and the new owner buys subject to all of the existing liabilities, including pay.

That being said, you have to figure out if the money is worth it. The new owner could fire you or change your job title or position if he is this worked up about this issue. So if it is not a lot of money, it may be worth keeping your job security and refunding it. Or you can refund it now and ask that it be paid to you later. But it is your money.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. I understand the issue you are bringing up - my job. Considering that the "new owner" proceeded to cuss andchew me out over this issue, I don't think I have a future with the new company and it's owner.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
I would start looking for a new job. You don't want to work for someone like that.

Good luck!
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much for you help!
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how this works out for you!