LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

May someone with Strabismic Amblyopia be eligible for disability

Customer Question

May someone with Strabismic Amblyopia be eligible for disability benefits?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon from Savannah,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Social Security Disability effectively requires that a person be incapable of earning a living---by being so severe that your condition interferes with basic work related activities. Presuming that you can see well with one eye, it is unlikely that you would qualify for disability.

However, if your visual problems are considered severe and affect both eyes, you may actually qualify under the social security disability standards. If this is the case you will need to be evaluated by your physician. Blindness for SSD purposes is composed of visual acuity of less than 20/100 in your good eye.

See your physician and your optometrist and ask about whether your disability will qualify you for SSD.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. Subscription customers incur no additional charges by Accepting. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.