Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

How does a teenager get emancipated in Tn

How does a teenager get emancipated in Tn?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

When exactly is the girlfriend turning 16?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

November 27th

Thank you for your patience.

Be aware that you can only pursue this (or rather, the 16 year old herself can pursue this) once she turns 16 and no earlier. Before she gets emancipated she must be able to provide for themselves, handle their own money and have a legal way to make money. All these conditions at a minimum must be met before the judge will make a ruling in favor of the child.

If the child receives permission from the court to be emancipated then the parents or the guardians are not responsible for the child. That means they are not obligated to provide money, medical insurance or any other kind of support.

Before a child gets emancipated he or she must be able to provide for themselves, handle their own money and have a legal way to make money. All these conditions at a minimum must be met before the judge will make a ruling in favor of the child.

Here are some of the general conditions as to how to file:

• The child must be a resident of Tennessee
  • The child has to be at least 16 years of age
  • The child must be living separate and apart from the parents or guardian
  • The child must be capable of supporting himself or herself financially and managing his or her own affairs
  • Each parent or guardian must consent (although there are certain exceptions)
  • Not a ward of the state

Just because a child becomes emancipated there are still certain responsibilities the child must take care of themselves:

• Cannot drink alcohol until the legal age in that state
  • Must attend school
  • Cannot get married unless he/she has parents permission
  • Cannot vote until the age of 18
  • Cannot purchase cigarettes or alcohol
  • Cannot purchase or possess firearms
When she turns 16, contact your local courthouse and request emancipation paperwork on her behalf. If her parents or guardians do not consent, you will be able to get the judge to overrule their contestation at the hearing.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/9/2010 at 6:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it enogh that I will financially support her, or does she have to have a job? We are in a very rural area and there are not any jobs here.
No, you cannot support her. She has to be self-supporting and has to have her own job. Otherwise you are being her guardian and she is not actually emancipated.

I am sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/9/2010 at 6:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How would I become her guardian?
That is a separate question from the emancipation question that you posed.

To become a guardian, the other parents must permit you that right--they file a petition in corut for modfication of guardianship and name you as the new party to guardianship. You really cannot become a guardian without their consent, unless the judge overrules their parental rights.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/9/2010 at 6:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much.
You are most welcome. Good luck to you!

If you found my information useful, kindly press the green "accept" button so I can be compensated for my assistance. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.