Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

I purchased a used boat trailer. When I tried to transfer

I purchased a used boat trailer. When I tried to transfer the trailer to my name, DMV would not do it because the person I bought it from never registered the trailer in their name. The person I bought from cannot find the bill of sale and cannot remember who he bought from. He only remembers that he bought it from some one in Detroit Lakes, MN. The trailer is still registered in the previous owners name. DMV will not give me the persons name because of privacy laws. They told me that I had to hire a lawyer. The trailer did have an expired license plate on it M71-686. What options do I have to get the trailer in my name? Thanks for your help. Earl Rogers
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steinlaw :

When did you buy the trailer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
September 11, 2010.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

Start by hiring an investigator. See if that person can locate the prior owner through the tags. If they can, write to that person and ask them to transfer title to the seller. Then you can get title from the seller. Simple and should be under $500.

If that does not work, you need to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit to "quiet title." This is a process where you go to court and get the court to order that the vehicle is yours and you then get a clear title. It will take a few months and cost you a few thousand dollars. But that is your only other option.

Well, you do have one more. Sue the seller for the money you paid him. He did not have legal title so he had no ability to sell it to you. If it is under your small claims court limit, you can do it in small claims court.

Good luck.