INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

how far back can cell phone records be retrieved by agency

how far back can cell phone records be retrieved by agency or subenoea
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for your question.

INFOLAWYER :

There is no time limit

INFOLAWYER :

However a court will normally interfere and lmit the subpoena if it is overbroad

INFOLAWYER :

so for example if the records are in connection with a dispute over 2 years, that would be the span of the subpoena.

INFOLAWYER :

The other issue if whether the company still has records available

INFOLAWYER :

but that would vary on a case by case basis.

INFOLAWYER :

I hope the information is helpful and fast

Customer :

could it go back 9 to 10 years

INFOLAWYER :

You can ask for it for a court is not likely to permit such a time span unless there is good reason for it

INFOLAWYER :

The request should be specific to the claim and not overbroad or burdensome

INFOLAWYER :

If no one objects, then you could also do it

Customer :

i think my wife was having an affair during that 2000 2001

INFOLAWYER :

You may request such information then as it is relevant

INFOLAWYER :

I hope I have been helpful

INFOLAWYER :

If so, please click ACCEPT

Customer :

do the phone companies store records that long

INFOLAWYER :

Yes, they should have it

INFOLAWYER :

They would need to respond with the record or explanation if not available

INFOLAWYER :

Nothing to lose in trying

Customer :

how do you get them

INFOLAWYER :

The subpoena would be issued

INFOLAWYER :

and they would have to provide them

INFOLAWYER :

Normally it is issued by the lawyer or the court

INFOLAWYER :

in the context of a lawsuit

INFOLAWYER :

Otherwise a subpoena cannot issue

INFOLAWYER :

I hope that all makes sense and answers your question.

INFOLAWYER :

If I can clarify anything, please ask me

INFOLAWYER :

Otherwise, please click accept as that is the only way I get credit for the answers.

Customer :

i had heard that companies quite after 5 years

INFOLAWYER :

It really depends on the account and the company. Going back 10 years, they may not have it but given storage capabilities, it may be a matter of recovering it from archives

Customer :

thanks

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses