JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

What recourse (if any) do I have against a used car dealer

What recourse (if any) do I have against a used car dealer for failure to disclose a "reconstruction auto title". Disclosure took place in writing 1 week after I signed the loan contract.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Can you please clarify what you believe your damages are as a result of this alleged non-disclosure?

Am I correct to understand that you want to keep the auto?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I don't want to keep it. The reconstruction title lowers the re-sale value alot, the only place I can see taking it as a trade-in is the original car lot.
How much did you pay for the auto?

Have you demanded the seller to refund your money? If so, what happened?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Time lines first: Signed loan contract June 28 2008

Completed package at dealership (including title affidavit) July 1, 2008

Price: $14,147.00

Financed: $12,282.00

The only thing they agreed to do was lower the interest rate 2%.

I'm trying to work a trade-in deal on another truck right now - working directly with the dealership owner. He knows I'm still very angry about the original deal - but he is not overly concerned with the non-disclosure issue.

An option to consider would be to sue the dealer for fraud, misrepresentation, and/or breach of contract. The statute of limitations in Alaska for breach of contract claims is 4 years.

You may want to consider contacting a local attorney who specializes in lemon law matters to assist you in any court case. Your situation does not fall into a lemon law category, however, such attorneys are also familiar with the types of issue you are experiencing.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!