Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

My husband is getting ready to hook up with a art gallery for

My husband is getting ready to hook up with a art gallery for his oil paintings. The question is: He takes a picture of a building on his travels. He paints the building and the building has a name on it. Can he use the name when he puts the painting in a gallery or at any time sells the painting?
In what state are you located?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We are located in Ohio currently.

When we retire in a few years it will be somewhere in the South. Probably Alabama or South Carolina.

If I understand correctly your husband paint ORIGINAL artwork from actual structures including buildings with names. If that is the case then he can do so without concern of infringing on copyright, trademark or other issues. He would have a issue only if he was duplicating someone else's artwork, photo or reproduction.