Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

What legal recourse do I have against a neighbor of mine who

Customer Question

What legal recourse do I have against a neighbor of mine who witnessed my being arrested, right out in the driveway of my own house. The charges were outrageous and the case was eventually dismissed. She, my neighbor, instantly jumped to conclusions. She has a relative who is a Judge. She reported to him what happened in my driveway. He actually looked up the arrest, somehow, and proceeded to tell her that I had been picked up for having Child Pornography on my computer. I was, but it was not true. That is what I was arrested for, but the case was dismissed. So, if I am not guilty of the crime she has assumed I am guilty of, is that slander, if she has defamed me with all of my other neighbors? The case was dismissed. Can she legally alienate me from all my neighbors. I have lived here for over 46 years now. My good neighbors, now, will not give me the time of day. What recourse do I have?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
I understand what happens in your situation, and it sounds like a nightmare. But it's a Jones understands how she has "jumped to conclusions". He said that your neighbor reported to her relative what happened, which is true, and she discovered that the nature of the arrest was for having child pornography on your computer, which is also true (that is why you were arrested, correct?). So what's is it that she has done that you are concerned about? You mentioned defaming you in front of your other neighbors, but you did not tell me what she has specifically said about you – – perhaps that's is a good place to start?
I am glad to put in for a refund, but you are aware that I have not yet provided an answer, correct? This forum is convenient and accessible, but it has communication challenges and it can be confusing the first time that it is used. You have in your mind an understanding of the facts and a legal question about those facts. In order for me to provide a legal answer, I first have to fully extract those facts. I realize that you believe that you have told me everything that is needed in order to give an answer, but you have not... I am just trying to get to that information so that a competent answer may be given. Neither I nor any other attorney on the planet is going to be in a position to answer your question completely until you give more information about what was said, by whom, to whom, and when.

If you do not want an answer to your question, you may let me know at any time; if you simply do nothing, I will assume that you no longer want an answer and I will mark the question for refund in approximately 24 hours. If you would, in fact, like to move past this misunderstanding so that your question can be answered, simply provide to me the information requested within the next 24 hours.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<strong><u><em><br /><br /></em></u></strong>I do want an answer. What additional information will you need? It is not included in your reply. Either that, or I do not understand.
that's is both surprising and confusing! So, you mean to say that you never wrote that phrase? That is very concerning! I will direct this to our customer service; hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this.

in the meantime,the question that I had is one of clarification. You had mentions some of what your neighbor had done, but it was not clear to me if she had said anything other than what she personally mentioned that's she has in some way been causing trouble with your neighbors. What, exactly, has she been saying to your neighbors?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still no answer? It's been over an hour. No more waiting. Refund my money. You were no help at all. Not worth paying for.
Is this a game? We've been through this once already. You asked what additional information I needed, and I told you. I am still waiting on that information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replied fully. I will not go into details in public. Forget it. Refund my money.