Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Ive seen in movies or news that whenever a lawbreaker is arrested,

I've seen in movies or news that whenever a lawbreaker is arrested, he always can get a lawyer within the shortest time preiod. Frankly speaking, if one day I get caught by the police, I don't have any idea which lawyers I can call and how to deal with them. Can you tell me how this can be done? Do those guys retain a lawyer in advance? Does police help people locate a lawyer?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If the crime is fairly serious, an attorney is automatically provided to the law breaker by the state--that attorney is called a Public Defender, and is automatically assigned to the case. To get a private (and probably higher level) attorney to assist, the law breaker must do his own investigation or research, or have an attorney on file. The police do not assist in that situation.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/1/2010 at 5:53 AM EST