BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

can an email agreement be considered a valid amendment and

can an email agreement be considered a valid amendment and legally binding to a written contract signed in california
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. It depends on the exact verbiage of the written contract. If it uses the term "signing" as you stated, then an email would be considered a signed writing. A signature can be any mark such as a signature, a mark, or a single letter. If you have enough of the material provisions in the writing, such that the terms are clear, then yes an email can be a writing sufficient to be legally binding.

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

so if i am having a dispute about the provisions of a contract, and the other party agrees to amend the agreement so it is clear, and the terms of this amnedment are crystal clear and agreed to in an email, is that considered a legally binding amendment ?

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

hello are you still there?

BizAttorney :

Yes, that is correct. A judge will use an email as a writing. It happens every day

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

would you be able to refer me to any california law or case law on this matter, if so that is all i would would need from you!

BizAttorney :

Sure, let me look

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

awesome!

BizAttorney :

With respect to the first ground on which the trial court relied, the parties devote significant attention to whether they agreed to conduct the loan transaction electronically, so that the email confirmation on which plaintiffs rely serves as a writing confirming the agreement. (Civ. Code, § 1633.5, subd. (b).) This issue is important, however, only if the loan commitment was not enforceable unless entered in writing. (See Civ. Code, § 1633.7, subd. (c) ["If a law requires a...

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

does this refer to a previosdly written contract amended by an email?

BizAttorney :

It is about a loan that must be in writing and the court used the email as a writing. It is standard across the country that an email is a writing. It is the content of the email that matters now to you.

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

ok great, you have aswered my question....what do i do now....click on accept?

BizAttorney :

Yes, please, have a great night

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

if i want to ask more questions...this time about advertising law, are you yhe right person as well?

BizAttorney :

Yes, just put my name at the beginning of your question and I'll get it

JACUSTOMER-0jo52nag- :

thank you very much and good night!