Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My daughters solar company is trying to get a grant to start

My daughter's solar company is trying to get a grant to start her company. We have contacted a company, Evolution Management Systems, out of Salt Lake City, Utah. They have pre-qualified her for a grant up anywhere from 80,000 to 100,000. They want 3600.00 up front for this service, and promise she will have her money within 30-45 days. I understand that knowledgeable grant writers are expensive but I am concerned that she is going to lose her money. How can we have assurance this is a credible service?
While typically companies that take money up front are indeed scams, there have been no real reports on this particular company and according to the Better Business Bureau the company has a "B+" rating. However, I would still concur with the banker here, unless the company is giving her some written contractual guarantee, the general rule is that companies that take money up front to get you money are usually scams and if the grant was such a guarantee then they would agree to take their fee from the grant when it is obtained.

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/financial-consultants/evolution-management-group-lc-in-orem-ut-22021378

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The company has agreed to a contractual agreement by email and the original sent to us overnight. Since this company is B+ rated and we were told we are guaranteed a refund if we don't get the grant, should we still not trust? Is there a way to find out for sure that this company is not a scam. We were told they have been in business for 18 years.
You need to read the contract first to see about the guarantee but if the guarantee is in there and combined with their rating, the risk that this is a scam is not as great as some other companies with bad ratings with the BBB.