GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
46665915

Is there a law on the books that allows a family to have an

Is there a law on the books that allows a family to have an adult family member committed, involuntarily, to a psychiatric facility or dept. if that person is threatening to kill themself, and the police believe it is a credible threat?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

is the person a danger to others?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, only himself

Here is the code for Georgia which you would need either a doctor or police officer to initiate it.

In Georgia, the maximum duration of emergency treatment prior to a hearing varies depending upon the specific circumstances. If a police officer takes the person directly to an emergency receiving facility, he could be held up to 23 days. If a physician initiates a certificate for treatment or a police officer takes a person to a physician for certification, the maximum potential days before a hearing is 21 (GCA §§ 37-3-64; 37-3-81). During this confinement period, a physician examines the patient to determine mental stability.

Any physician may cause a person to be committed in an emergency by executing a certificate, which states that he examined the person within the preceding 48 hours and found that he appeared to be a mentally ill person requiring involuntary treatment (GCA § 37-3-41(a)). A police officer may take a person to a physician for an emergency examination if (1) the person is committing a crime and (2) the peace officer has probable cause for believing that the person is mentally ill and in need of involuntary treatment (GCA § 37-3-42 (a)).

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your questions. I will still be happy to reply to any follow up at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is also appreciated. Be sure to request me in the future and put "To Georgetownlawyr" in the subject line. Thanks and best regards.