Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

hi my brother purchased a fake Gibson guitar from china & resold

Customer Question

hi my brother purchased a fake Gibson guitar from china & resold it online, the guy he sold it to wants his money back or is threatening to file a police report.
my brother didn't tell him it was real nor fake, he didn't post it as a real name guitar online, & when the guy came to our house to pick it up he looked at it himself & bought it but we never told him it was a real Gibson guitar. my brother posted it online as guitar & all sales final, what can we do?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If your brother knew it was not an original and the outward appearance of the guitar presented itself as a Gibson, then your brother committed fraud/misrepresentation by failing to disclose it was not an original. If he is sued he can be held liable and also it is possible that the police could charge him with theft by fraud for taking money for an item that was not what it appeared to be.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if he knew it was fake, & sold it without claiming it was real is still a fellony & he should give the guy his money back?
Yes it is still a crime because he knew it was a fake and failed to disclose it and from looking at it the item presented itself as the real thing. Yes, he should settle this with the buyer and get the guitar back and if he decides to sell it again, you should make sure he advertises it as a copy and not an original.