TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

is impersonating a lawyer on someones behalf to antagonize

Customer Question

is impersonating a lawyer on someone's behalf to antagonize someone a criminal offense?
my mother has been playing head games with me and I have a mental health diagnosis she had her boyfriend call and harass me at least ten times saying he was the head of a major law firm in Florida called morgan and morgan and I have the saved messages.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

It is not per se criminal to falsely claim to be a lawyer. However, it could contribute to conduct that ultimately is considered criminal. For example, it would be illegal to falsely claim to be a lawyer and then trick a person into giving money as a retainer fee. Similarly, harassment can be illegal, and it’s possible that posing as a lawyer and making threatening phone calls could be viewed as criminal harassment.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably contact the police and file a report so that there is a record of what’s going on. And depending on what the boyfriend is trying to do, it could be illegal.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did call the police in Florida I did a background check on this man through peoplesmart.com and it states he has been arrested 29 times that is what

the criminal history states and 21 different addresses he has a lien or judge-

ment of some type for 24k that he owes to the irs and my mom has some

stocks that are worth alot of money, he is telling her everything that she

wants to hear she has went through 20k in one month. The website for

peoplesmart states i cannot use this information to harass bother or embarass

another individual so how am I supposed to tell my mother? I did tell her I needed

to talk with her regarding him and I told him the other night when he called here drunk

that i had his number and that i knew about his activity playing attorney and that i

knew about his criminal history, my mother tried to tell me they were living in a really big house and that he owned a yacht so i did a google map search to zoom in on the property it is a trailer park with a fishing boat parked in the yard. I don't want my mother losing everything my father has worked for his whole life which she is now starting to access? is there any way to get around letting her see what this creep is about some of his charges are domestic battery or domestic violence related or violating orders at least that is what I think I am reading.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
It's a tough call. Technically, it's possible that you may be in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act which restricts when people can access the type of report that you accessed. On the other hand, it is unlikely that he'll ever find out how you found out about him, and it's also unlikely that he'll do anything about it even if he does find out how you learned the truth. I suppose you'll need to weigh the pros and cons of the situation.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law