Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Subsequent to a company merger where my parent company bought

Subsequent to a company merger where my parent company bought another company, my company (child) was dissolved. I accepted an offer in the newly bought company (my parent co. remained the same). My title entitled me to an office and involved supervisory responsibilities. All this was provided to me. (My former boss held the title and had hire/fire authority). At the 1st annual review in this position, my boss insisted that my title wasn't one that this child company recognized and it was given to me in error, and took over supervisory role and instead made me a team lead for the people under me. I brought this up with HR but nothing happend and in the 4th year, my title was changed to a Developer (I am in Information technology) and I continued to function as team lead. My role and responsibility remained the same. Is there a legal recourse?
Unless you had something in writing regarding your position in the company I am afraid that they can change the title and position at will. Absent any written agreement to this you would have no recourse against them. If you had a contract then this would be a breach of contract, but if your pay did not change and only your title, I am afraid that there would be no damages to sue over.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is this considered discrimination?

It is only discriminatory if it was done to you based solely on your age/race/sex/disability and since you did not mention anything to lead me to see that as the grounds for them taking this action, I did not bring it up.