Roger, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

if someone is harboring a runaway - what other legal actions

if someone is harboring a runaway - what other legal actions can i take as a parent if they cross state lines or many states lines?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

The person would be guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor:

N.H. Revised Statutes Ann. 169-B:41 Intentional Contribution to Delinquency.

I. Any parent or guardian or person having custody or control of a minor, or anyone else, who shall knowingly encourage, aid, cause, or abet, or connive at, or has knowingly or willfully done any act to produce, promote, or contribute to the delinquency of such minor, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. The court may release such person on probation, subject to such orders as it may make concerning future conduct tending to produce or contribute to such delinquency, or it may suspend sentence, or before trial, with such person's consent, it may allow the person to enter into a recognizance, in such penal sum as the court may fix, conditioned for the promotion of the future welfare of the minor, and the case may be placed on file.

II. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph I, any parent, guardian or person having custody or control of a minor, or anyone else, who shall knowingly or willfully, encourage, aid, cause or abet, or connive at, or has knowingly done any act to produce, promote or contribute to the utilization of a minor in any acts of sexual conduct, as defined in RSA 650:1, VI, in order to create obscene material, as defined in RSA 650:1, IV, of the minor engaged in such conduct, shall be guilty of:

(a) A class B felony if such person has had no prior convictions in this state or another state for the conduct described in this paragraph;

(b) A class A felony if such person has had one or more prior convictions in this state or another state for the conduct described in this paragraph.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is ther more severity if they cross state lines through approx 4 states at this point and may be more? also the vehicle they are traveling in is registered to her friends parents - if they wont report the vehicle as stolen - is there something i can do to force them to do so? would that also be considered with interfering in the search for the runaway/

missing child (as she is reported now)

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

The person could be charged with kidnapping, and there is a Federal Kidnapping Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Kidnapping_Act).

Because the person has taken the child across state lines, it is a federal offense.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

even if she is willingly with this person?

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Because the person is a minor, he/she cannot make this type of decision on his/her own. Unless the parent or legal guardian gives permission for this other person to be with the child, it is illegal - whether the child is there voluntarily or involuntarily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 last things for now beofre i accept the answer - and really i appreciate you help!

First: what authority do i goto to pursue these charges?

Second: can i legally force the other parents to report their vehicel as stolen?

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

You can contact your local police department and they can get you in contact with the federal authorities - FBI, US Attorney's Office, etc.

No, you can't force anyone else to report or allege a crime.

Roger, Attorney
Experience: Litigation Attorney