JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I am a registered nurse training on a new job from which I

I am a registered nurse training on a new job from which I was subsequently fired. During my orientation period, I was taunted, ridiculed by my mentors. Management made aware of the situation but the offenders were never reprimnaded or had a meeting with me and the offenders about the behaviors.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Can you please clarify what is your actual question that you would like assistance with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For the past 3 weeks, I have been working in a hostile environment. I was ridiculed about my work.I was in orientation, one mentored yelled @ me amd said to the supervisor in an open forum that I can't work with her. I was given another mentor who ridculed my skill, treated me very nastely. This was on a daily basis. Management was made aware of the situation. No meeting was ever held with me and the offenders regarding the situation. Management sided withe the offenders when I brought the matter to their attention. Behavior like this during my orientation, made it difficult for me to grasp the knowledge, subsequently, I was fired. I an 62 years old, have a disabilty of my knees and I am a blackregistered nurse
That I understand. However, what is your actual question that you would like assistance with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I have a basis for a lawsuit
Did you have a written employment agreement or contract with your employer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
And does it say that you are an at-will employee or that your employment is at will?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It says that. However, is an employer liable for a hostile environment.
Not all hostile work environments are against the law.

It is not against the law for supervisors or co-workers to be mean or jerks.

The laws do not require that management be the civility police.

The only time that the law is concerned about certain behaviors is if it can be proved that the behaviors have an illegal motive or hitch. For example, that is it done because of a person's gender, religion, disability, age, national origin, race, or pregnancy.

From the collective facts described, it does not appear that there was an illegal hostile work environment.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Management stopped speaking to me, giving treats to all the employees except me, speaking in a hostile manner towards me.

According to the American Bar Association, an "employer is liable if it is negligent in adressing the problem".

Would the clause "at will" cancel the above quote?

Again, not all forms of harassment are against the law.

An employer has no legal obligation to address all forms of taunts, etc.

An employer only has a legal obligation to act if the taunts, etc. have an illegal motive. Your situation has not suggested that there was an illegal motive for the taunts.

As an at-will employee, you could quit at any time and your employer could terminate at any time.