Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My husband died in 2009 and I am constantly asked if he has

My husband died in 2009 and I am constantly asked if he has an estate. He left no will. I am paying the mortgage every month. His car was turned in to the loan company. Please explain what is involved in an estate and probate.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. If your husband died without a will, he is deemed to have died intestate. As such, his assets at death are distributed according to the California intestacy succession rules. Someone will need to petition the probate court in the county your husband died to be appointed your husband's executor...that person should probably be yours...and then the executor will need to administer the estate...assemble assets, pay the debts and then distribute any remaining assets according to the intestacy succession rules. If you are not comfortable with all aspects of this, any estate planning lawyer can help you navigate the process. You can find the intestacy succession rules at the following website...

http://www.lyster.com/estates/post_mortem_probate/intestacy_chart.htm

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.