Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

I would like to show various advertisements as examples of

I would like to show various advertisements as examples of a concept that I'm writing about in a book about advertising and marketing. I have downloaded these sample ads from google images. Do I have to gain permission from the advertiser in order to publish them?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. To make such of it you would need a license. Without it you could be sued or more likely first asked to stop such use. Please click the ACCEPT button. (That is the only way I get credit for the answer, even if you have a subscription or put a deposit with

If I can clarify or add anything, please ask me by clicking REPLY before you click accept. I am here to answer and happy to do so.

A BONUS & POSITIVE FEEDBACK are very much appreciated, especially if I provided you with a lightning fast answer.

Although very rare, there may be a short delay between answers because I may be helping another customer or taking a break.

Take care,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A liscense for what and from whom?
Why do I see these ads all over the internet?
The ads are on usually for a short period until pulled down or are there through a license, which is obtained from the advetiser.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
You asked who to obtain the license from. It would be a license from the advertiser.

You further asked for what purpose. You want to reproduce it for a limited purpose and that needs to be provided in writing.

It is online because often not all violations are discovered quickly enough. When discovered, lawyer letters are sent and it comes off the internet. Other times licenses are negotiated

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even if my purpose is to critque the ad, do I need a licesnse?
If it is not being reproduced for profit and redistribution, a license would not be required.