Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law
11688690

Last 9/13, I was in a car crash in Logan Township, New Jersey.

Customer Question

Last 9/13, I was in a car crash in Logan Township, New Jersey. While a cop was doing the accident report, I noticed that tree branches were dangling in front of the STOP sign that I overlooked, but I didn’t take pictures as I mistakenly believed my cell phone's camera was broken because the phone's outer screen is cracked. I pointed out the STOP sign's obstruction to the officer, who then got out of the car to investigate. Maybe shadows or glares of the branches -- or breezes blowing them -- hindered my perception of the sign. When I went to take photos the next day, the obstructing branches were gone. In addition, one of the people helping me and the other victim at the scene, before emergency personnel got there, told me she feels there should be a traffic light at the intersection in question. Moreover, as I was about to make a left turn, seconds before impact, a delivery truck in the direction opposite me was doing the same, which may have prevented me from seeing the other driver in the collision...
This account has some details I had forgotten at the time of a taped phone interview with the auto-insurance adjuster assigned to my claim; after getting legal counsel on this, I plan to make the adjuster aware of those details. Payment for my two traffic tickets (one for careless driving, another for failure to stop) and the tickets themselves were returned to me with the first written notification of a mandatory, Oct. 6 court appearance.
Prior to appearing before the judge, I want to know: fully considering my version of events, should I plead guilty? If yes, to which charge(s)? I’d also appreciate any other advice which may help. Thank you!
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Law Pro :

Hi, I'm an expert on Just Answer and will assist you with your question.

Law Pro :

I would recant your story to the judge as to what the scene was and what was going on.

Law Pro :

Do you have much in the way of prior driving citations?

Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Did you get my question or request for information regarding your question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't had points on my license since 1997.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
OK then you have a only a few citations in the past.

Do you have a copy of the accident report? Do you have the names of any witnesses to the accident?

Edited by Law Pro on 10/1/2010 at 12:32 AM EST
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
If you have had minimum citations in the past - then you have a good chance to negotiate with the police officer potentially.

How bad were the personal injuries from the accident - do you have any idea?