LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

2 and 1/2 years ago, my husband was charged with animal cruelty

2 and 1/2 years ago, my husband was charged with animal cruelty - we didn't have the $$ for a lawyer, so he pled guilty (he didn't actually do anything, however). Part of his plea was an agreement not to have a dog for 5 years. We thought that the agreement was made in 07 (turns out it was 08) and that it was for 3 years. So, we thought we were clear and got a new dog. He has to go to court because he's now in contempt - although this was an honest mistake. Our dog is in "foster care" with my brother so my young children can visit. He's afraid that he'll go to jail - do we need a lawyer for this court appearance? And do you think there is any way we can get our dog back? He's complied with everything - anger management, community service, etc. We just in good faith made a mistake with the dates.
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

He IS facing a violation of his probation and whether this was an honest mistake or not, he could get jail time. So yes, I do think you need an attorney for the hearing. It is doubtful that you can get the dog back at this point, especially after the violation. However, the attorney can argue for that as well, if you so desire. You can find local criminal defense attorneys here: http://www.martindale.com/. Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.