lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

Texas Transportation Code - Section 545.421. Fleeing Or Attempting

Customer Question

Texas Transportation Code - Section 545.421. Fleeing Or Attempting ,could you tell me the maximum penalty on this?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.

Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable. Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged.

section 545.421 of the transportation code: (1) a person; (2) operates a motor vehicle; (3) and wilfully; (4) fails or refuses to bring vehicle to a stop; or (5) flees pursuing police vehicle; (6) when given a visual or audible signal to bring the vehicle to a stop; (7) and the signal is by hand, voice, emergency light, or siren; (8) officer giving signal is in uniform; (9) with prominently displayed badge, and (10) the officer's vehicle must be appropriately marked as an official police vehicle. See Tex. Transp. Code Ann. § 545.421(a), (b) (West 1999).

All of the foregoing elements must be proven to obtain a conviction under section 545.421. This statute requires that the defendant be signaled visually or audibly

to stop and that he be pursued by a marked police vehicle that is driven by a uniformed officer who is prominently displaying a badge

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor if the person, during the commission of the offense, recklessly engages in conduct that places another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury.

(e) A person is presumed to have recklessly engaged in conduct placing another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury under Subsection (d) if the person while intoxicated knowingly operated a motor vehicle during the commission of the offense. In this subsection, "intoxicated" has the meaning assigned by Section 49.01, Penal Code.