How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Type Your Legal Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have unpaid traffic tickets, I got my license suspended and

Resolved Question:

I have unpaid traffic tickets, I got my license suspended and the got a ticket for driving with a supended license. I would like to clear it all up. Where do I start? I assume I will need a lawyer.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using


Are your tickets all in California?


What are the unpaid tickets for?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have 2 speeding Tickets from 07, 1 speeding ticket from 09 (suspended license - this is when I found out it was suspended) and then I got a ticket June 09 for not stopping at a red while making a right and driving on suspended license.

I was in financial crisis so I didnt pay them. I am now ready and able to pay them, but afraid that I will A) get arrested when I try to do so and B) I was hoping to get some help so I wont have soo many points on my license. I know that I look like a deadbeat but was self employed and was behind on my mortgage. I have a great job now and since I need to drive for work, I need to get my license back.

All tickets were in CA the first 3 in are for the court in Roseville and the last in SF.Any Advice? I would like to just pay them all this week but worried that I still wont get my license back...

Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information.


The 2007 and 2009 tickets have already been defaulted. That means that for purposes of the court system, you have been found responsible. You neither appeared to contest the tickets or paid the tickets. Therefore, you must pay the tickets (which have likely doubled because of late fees, interest, etc.). Do the following:

  1. Go to the court to pay your citations and possibly appear before a judge.
  2. The court will give you either a Failed to Pay (FTP) or a Failed to Appear (FTA) abstract noting you have fulfilled whatever the requirement may be.
  3. Make an appointment at the DMV to pay your reissue fee.

Points will be added to your driver's license for each of the violations. Speeding violations are one point each. However, as you acquire points, you place yourself in danger of losing your driver's license. The DMV has the right to suspend or revoke your driving privileges if you accumulate a certain number of points over a set period of time. For example, if you accumulate 4 points in one year, the DMV can suspend your license.


In your case, not only do you have the old ticket problem, you also have a suspended license violation. It is important that you take proof of payment of the old tickets with you on your court date. Ask to speak to a prosecuting attorney. Show the prosecutor your proofs. Ask if the suspended license violation can be dismissed or reduced to a type of violation such that your license won't be suspended again.


If the prosecutor won't work with you, ask for an adjournment so that you can speak to an attorney who specializes in criminal/traffic law. Sometimes an initial consultation is free or at a minimal charge. You can discuss the specific facts of your case, evaluate your options and decide how to proceed. You can also ask if the attorney could help you in any way with the Roseville violations as well as the suspended license violation.


I suggest that you consult with an attorney if the prosecutor won't work with you because, in California, a suspended license violation is serious. Below is a link to the law and penalties:


I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.







xavierjd and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions