GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.

I need a lifetime dowry for Tennessee, do you have a generic

Customer Question

I need a lifetime dowry for Tennessee, do you have a generic one available?My girlfriend of fifteen years has had a heart attack and her family has changed the locks on my legal residence in White Bluff,TN and taken her home to Riverside,AL. with them. She has been there four months and has called me to come down there and bring her back to TN (home).She has intimated that she will sign a lifetime dowry to protect me from her daughter in law who has dollar signs in front of her eyeballs.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Could you explain a little more of what you are trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have lived with Frances Louise Whitlock for fifteen years and during that time I have invested close to $40,000 in her property and the daughter in law and her son are supposed to receive the property when she dies. Thus : the reason for a lifetime dowry, which she has agreed to sign if I will go down to Alabama and bring her back home. She may even be even be being held against her will at their residence. She has intimated to me that she wants to come home ASAP. Tim Kirkpatrick p.s. I already know that the state of TN does not recognise common law marriage.???
What you are looking for is a life estate:

A "life estate" is an estate whose duration is limited to the life of an individual (usually the party holding the life estate), and a legal arrangement whereby the "life tenant" during his or her life retains use (the rights to rents and profits), possession of the property and costs of maintaining the property. The life tenant cannot sell or waste the property without the consent of the "remaindermen".

How is a Life Estate Created?
A legal life estate in real property can be created by conveying the property by a deed which carves out the life estate for the grantor and creates a "remainder interest" by which the "remaindermen" (this would be her son) receive full ownership (fee simple) immediately upon the death of the life tenant (grantor).

Here is a sample:

You can also visit and get one there but given the situation you should have this drawn up by an attorney because I am sure the minute she is gone, the Son will come after the house and challenge you so be smart and have an attorney do this for you.

As to TN common law: In the State of Tennessee it doesn't recognize common law marriage, but Tennessee will recognize common law if the couple lived together long enough as common law man and wife in another State which did recognize common law and have made Tennessee their home.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.