How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question

GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12047
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a lifetime dowry for Tennessee, do you have a generic

Customer Question

I need a lifetime dowry for Tennessee, do you have a generic one available?My girlfriend of fifteen years has had a heart attack and her family has changed the locks on my legal residence in White Bluff,TN and taken her home to Riverside,AL. with them. She has been there four months and has called me to come down there and bring her back to TN (home).She has intimated that she will sign a lifetime dowry to protect me from her daughter in law who has dollar signs in front of her eyeballs.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Could you explain a little more of what you are trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have lived with Frances Louise Whitlock for fifteen years and during that time I have invested close to $40,000 in her property and the daughter in law and her son are supposed to receive the property when she dies. Thus : the reason for a lifetime dowry, which she has agreed to sign if I will go down to Alabama and bring her back home. She may even be even be being held against her will at their residence. She has intimated to me that she wants to come home ASAP. Tim Kirkpatrick p.s. I already know that the state of TN does not recognise common law marriage.???
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 4 years ago.
What you are looking for is a life estate:

A "life estate" is an estate whose duration is limited to the life of an individual (usually the party holding the life estate), and a legal arrangement whereby the "life tenant" during his or her life retains use (the rights to rents and profits), possession of the property and costs of maintaining the property. The life tenant cannot sell or waste the property without the consent of the "remaindermen".

How is a Life Estate Created?
A legal life estate in real property can be created by conveying the property by a deed which carves out the life estate for the grantor and creates a "remainder interest" by which the "remaindermen" (this would be her son) receive full ownership (fee simple) immediately upon the death of the life tenant (grantor).

Here is a sample:

You can also visit and get one there but given the situation you should have this drawn up by an attorney because I am sure the minute she is gone, the Son will come after the house and challenge you so be smart and have an attorney do this for you.

As to TN common law: In the State of Tennessee it doesn't recognize common law marriage, but Tennessee will recognize common law if the couple lived together long enough as common law man and wife in another State which did recognize common law and have made Tennessee their home.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions