GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.
46665915

Is there a sample letter to a judge on behalf of a parent for

Is there a sample letter to a judge on behalf of a parent for child custody?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Is the case currently in court? Are there attorneys involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the case is in court and I need to write the letter on my freinds behalf and have it done for court tomorrow. I just found out.
Oh you are writing in support of your friend having custody?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have been having some medical problems and have been out of the loop. My freind is a great guy a very good father so I want to make sure that his ex girlfreind does not receive custody as she disappears for weeks at a time and then shows up and wants money if she doesn't receive it then she steals it. My freind has 2 businesses and finally had had enough and got a restraining order then she and her mother acussed my freind of child abuse and the sheriff came and took his boy. He is totally devastated and I would like to write a letter that would really be of the best help possible. Something that would really cause the Judge to lean in his favor. I have known him for 40 years and I can assure you he is a great father.
Well, I can tell you this..you just convinced me. Write from the heart but here is a good guideline:

The letters often describe the characteristics of the parent in plain English. The character letters should not exaggerated good or bad personal traits of the parent. A good character letter should explain the relationship parent between parent and child.

In general, a character letter usually has three parts: opening, body, and closure. The opening section generally explains the relationship between parent and the child. The body of the letter describes the description of the parent, and the closure section summarize why the parent should have the child custody.

A short story is often used to emphasize the traits and relationship between the parent and child. A good character letter should avoid negative statements toward the parents.

Here is another sample format you may follow:
What to address in your letter:

Although every state is different in some regard, the factors to be
considered by the court may be firmly established, either by the
legislature or by that state's supreme court. In Michigan, for
example, there are the "twelve factors" which were established by our
legislature. Addressing the most important of these factors might be
an effective approach and helpful to the court, specifically those
factors that the other side believes to be their strongest (and where
your friend may need the most help). Anyway, the Michigan factors are:

1. The love, affection, and other emotional ties existing between the
parties involved and the child;

2. The capacity and disposition of the parties involved to give the
child love, affection, and guidance and to continue the education and
raising of the child in his or her religion or creed, if any;

3. The capacity and disposition of the parties involved to provide
the child with food, clothing, medical care or other remedial care
recognized and permitted under the laws of the state in place of
medical care, and other material needs;

4. The length of time the child has lived in a stable, satisfactory
environment, and the desirability of maintaining continuity;

5. The permanence, as a family unit, of the existing or proposed
custodial home or homes;

6. The moral fitness of the parties involved;

7. The mental and physical health of the parties involved;

8. The home, school, and community record of the child;

9. The reasonable preference of the child, if the court considers the
child to be of sufficient age to express preference;

10. The willingness and ability of each of the parties to facilitate
and encourage a close and continuing parent-child relationship between
the child and the other parent or the child and the parents;

11. Domestic violence, regardless of whether the violence was
directed against or witnessed by the child;

12. Any other factor considered by the court to be relevant to a
particular child custody dispute.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Experience: 10+ Years Experience in Civil Litigation, Family, Probate and Immigration Law.