Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney

I have been letting a former company of mine use some 53 Trailers

I have been letting a former company of mine use some 53' Trailers for Storage the last 8 months and havent charged them, but now Im trying to get them to allow me to pick them up and they keep giving me the run around. Is it legal for me to just go get them and if theres stuff in them just allow them to get it out?? If I send them a demand letter Im afraid they will try to box them in, as theres alot of bad blood between the new company I work for and them. I certainly owe them NO money and they have been using them rent free for 8 months. Can I just go get them or is that breaking the law??
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steinlaw :

You can go get them as long as you do it peacefully. In other words, you cannot confront someone, threaten someone or generally cause a ruckus.

Steinlaw :

You do not need to send them a demand letter.

Customer :

So If they call the police it doesnt matter as long as I can prove there mine?? Even though Im going on there property??

Steinlaw :

You cannot trespass on to their property. If they are on their property, you need to send them a letter asking them to move them to your property and give them 10 days. If they lock them in, you would then sue them for the value of the trailers . It is called conversion.

Customer :

So if I go get them they can get me for Trespassing or what?? How to car dealers get away with repos?

Steinlaw :

A car dealer repo is a bit different. They could call the police. If they do, you would have to prove ownership and that you are lawfully and peacefully obtaining them. If you can do that, you are fine.

Customer :

So I for certain would not get arrested if I can prove the Trailers are mine?? As I can do that via the titles no problem

Steinlaw :

You should be fine then. Just dont disturb the peace.

Customer :

I would do it on a Saturday when nobody is there. Should I have the police assist me just in case since there closed on Saturdays anyway?

Steinlaw :

The police generally won't assist you, but you could let them know ahead of time what you are doing.

Customer :

OK. Thank You. I hope your sure as I really dont wanna get arrested :) but I want the trailers back, and they have paid NOTHING for 8 months storage.

Customer :

You would think they would just say come get them and be thankful but they are just being foolish

Steinlaw :

You are way too nice! Next time make sure you collect rent!

Customer :

Thank you. Do i just hit Accept now??

Steinlaw :

Yes please.

Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney