Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I lived in a room with other girls. Before I move in there

Customer Question

I lived in a room with other girls. Before I move in there were 2 girls with dogs. The carpet had some stains but it was clean. But one of them moved out and another one moved in with a dog that is not neutered. The dog was marking its spot everywhere and the carpet stained really bad. So we kicked her out because she wasn't cleaning it. After she was kicked out I adopted my dog and my lease ended. My dog has made no damage. Now I cannot get any deposit back because of the pee spot on the carpet. Should I be responsible? Should I get the deposit from the girl who was kicked out? (she dropped her name on the lease)
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

The owner or keeper of the animal is the one who is actually responsible for damage caused a leased premises. Although the landlord can charge for the cost of damages to any or all of the tenants, the tenants may thereafter recover their costs from the tenant actually responsible (usually in small claims). In short, if your roommate's dog caused the damage, the law provides that you can recover from her anything that you had to pay as a result of that damage under ordinary circumstances.

I hope that this helps.