Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Do you have a lawyer available on North carolina laws. Can

Do you have a lawyer available on North carolina laws. Can authoritys in North Carolina goe to another state such as Ohio and take someone in to custody for telephone harrassment and deflamation of character
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello:

the police powers granted to law enforcement authorities in one state do not carry over into other states. If an arrest warrant is issued in one state and the suspect/defendant is in another, the warrant must be registered and accepted in the other state. The other state must then extradite the suspect/defendant with their own law enforcement personnel. In other words, Ohio state troopers may not effectuate an arrest in North Carolina under ordinary circumstances, but North Carolina law enforcement may effectuate an arrest on their behalf.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean if ohio accepts the charges north carolina is insinuating then Ohio can make a arrest in north carolinas behalf. If so then what happens from there. Is deflamation of character not a crime if it's proven to be true statements?
Telephone harassment is a crime, but defamation of character is not. There is no such thing as arresting someone for defamation of character.

To clarify my previous statement, if an arrest warrant issues for someone in Ohio, and the person to be arrested is in North Carolina, Ohio can ask North Carolina to make the arrest on their behalf. It is in North Carolina's discretion whether to make the arrest; oftentimes, states do not have the resources to make arrests on the behalf of other states except for the most serious crimes (as opposed to misdemeanor harassment).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So your saying more than likely it would be unusual for a arrest to me make in another state for a misdemeanor such as harassment, but not impossible....and deflamation of character isn't a crime, but a individual can choose to sue them for it if they wish to. I think I am getting it now.
Exactly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if you got the other question that was part of the other questions. If a man sends a women photos that are revealing(nude) and that same women forwards those pictures via email to another woman hes messing with to warn her what kind of a sicko she is dealing with. You have been very helpful,,,thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and the man says he will contact the authorities...is there anything to worry about
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello
I did not receive that other question. Please allow me to answer.

If the picture was unsolicited, it could constitute a criminal offense (indecency--akin to "flashing" someone), but there would typically be nothing to worry about unless the suspect cooperated with the investigation.

Watch this video.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.