Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Background: If your car was towed away due to not carrying

Background: If your car was towed away due to not carrying / have driver's license and you are the registered owner but not the person driving and you were not in present when the driver was questioned by the police. The car is being impounded for x amount of days and will cost over 1K to get it out. is there a way to get the car released earlier?
also is international drivers license (Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, Korea, etc) legal or allowed in California?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer

Thank you for question,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. JustAnswer's policy and State Bar restrictions prohibit any attorney-client relationship, giving legal advice and client representation though this forum.

ANSWER

Since it is not known what the police questioned the driver about, there is no way of really knowing why they need to keep the car for X number of days. Since they also charge for storage (which I think is a total ripoff), it would be a good idea to retain a lawyer because they can cut through all of the red tape and the police cannot BS the attorney.

Regarding your question about International Driver's Licenses - If a person is a resident of any State in the United States, he or she cannot use an international driver's license here. They must use the driver's license of the State of their residence. The International driver's license can only be used by them outside the United States.

________________________________________________

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

_________________________________________________

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So let me get this clear... so there is a way to get the car out earlier but will need to hire a attorny? wouln't that may cost more $$ but will not need to wait x amount of days...
According to the impound personal, keeping the car is a penalty?? for not having the drivers license. And this is what i also found out is that the police cought the person without drivers license because they had the street blocked for check... one of those mass check-point thing... if there a difference?
or lets day the government just want to collect $$ because they need, is negotiating as if we pay the whole amount up front to get the car out legal?

so regarding the international driver license, if the person is visiting from lets say Mexico or Canada, all they need to show the police is the international drivers license? does the person needs to carry the passport with then to prove they are visiting?

1. What I am saying is that it might be possible for an Attorney to get the car out of impound sooner because, if a lawyer is involved, they cannot BS the lawyer with something they can ordinarily pull over a non-lawyer. The lawyer will know immediately what the police are trying to do;

2. Do the police do this to collect money ? - Absolutely, that's why I think it's so unfair.

3. International Driver's license - You are correct, someone visiting the United States from Mexico, Canada, or any other country, can drive in the United States with an International Driver's License.

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you Andrea, my question is somewhat clearer.